Home International News Netanyahu Rejects Trump’s 15-Point Gaza Plan
International News

Netanyahu Rejects Trump’s 15-Point Gaza Plan

Share
Share

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on August 9 rejected the US-brokered 15-point Gaza plan that Hamas had already signed off on in late July, marking a fresh break with President Donald Trump just weeks ahead of Israel’s October 27 election. Speaking at a cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said “Israel rejects the 15-point document” and that Israeli forces “will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed.”

The rejected plan, mediated by the US alongside Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, had set out a phased roadmap under which Hamas’s police weapons would transfer to a Palestinian governing body, personal weapons would fall under Palestinian law, and militia weapons would be decommissioned and stored under Palestinian authority. Netanyahu’s rejection comes as he balances pressure from far-right coalition partners opposed to concessions in Gaza against his reliance on Trump, who has pushed hard for a durable end to the conflict.

How Does Netanyahu’s Rejection Change the Gaza Ceasefire Outlook?

By rejecting the 15-point document after Hamas had already agreed to it, Netanyahu has effectively stalled the next implementation phase of the ceasefire architecture, leaving Israeli forces in position in Gaza pending what he calls genuine Hamas disarmament. Hamas spokesman Ghazi Hamad has separately described armed resistance as the group’s “holy mission” and declined to commit to a disarmament timeline, deepening the impasse between the two sides that mediators must now try to bridge.

What Do Analysts and Regional Observers Say?

Regional analysts read Netanyahu’s move as domestic political positioning ahead of the October 27 election, where he faces pressure from far-right ministers who oppose any withdrawal or concessions seen as rewarding Hamas. Observers also note the rejection as a rare public break from Trump, who has invested significant political capital in the Gaza peace framework and had touted the Board of Peace plan as a step toward lasting settlement. Analysts caution the move could complicate US mediation efforts and test the durability of the broader ceasefire.

Market and Trade Reaction

Middle East tensions of this kind typically feed through to global energy markets given the region’s role in oil transit, and traders have been closely watching Gaza and Iran-related headlines alongside separate talks over the Strait of Hormuz. Crude benchmarks have shown volatility through early August on the mix of ceasefire uncertainty and parallel Iran talks, with Brent crude swinging between roughly $77 and $82 a barrel over the past week as geopolitical risk premiums rise and fall with each development.

What Happens Next?

Mediators from Egypt, Qatar, Turkey and the US are expected to continue shuttle diplomacy to salvage the disarmament roadmap, while attention will turn to whether Trump publicly pressures Netanyahu to reconsider. With Israel’s election set for October 27, Netanyahu’s Gaza posture is likely to remain a live political issue domestically, and any further breakdown in the ceasefire framework would be closely watched by global oil markets and shipping lines operating in the region.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the 15-point Gaza plan Netanyahu rejected?

It is a US-brokered roadmap, mediated with Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, that Hamas had already accepted in late July, outlining phased disarmament in which police weapons would go to a Palestinian governing body and militia weapons would be decommissioned under Palestinian authority.

Why did Netanyahu reject the plan?

Netanyahu said Israeli forces will not withdraw from Gaza until Hamas is “genuinely disarmed,” a stance also shaped by pressure from far-right coalition partners ahead of Israel’s October 27 election.

Could this affect oil prices and global trade?

Yes. Middle East ceasefire uncertainty tends to move oil markets given the region’s role in global energy transit, and Brent crude has already swung between roughly $77 and $82 a barrel amid the mix of Gaza and separate Iran-related developments this month.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *